Business person, qualified lawyer and accredited mediator. International experience gained through working at multinationals, as well as the provision of a virtual in-house legal service for startups and SMEs, continue to give Hazel an insiders’ view of the challenges facing businesses of all sizes. Providing day to day legal support across several continents, she has acquired a deep practical understanding of cultural differences across the world, and in different types and sizes of business. Hazel is recognised for her strong sense of integrity, her analytical, yet collaborative approach to problem solving, her ability to communicate with diplomacy in sensitive situations, her drafting of documents in clear, precise language, her negotiation skills and her ability to explain legal concepts in simple terms. She is multilingual (English, French, German, Polish) and a graduate of Cambridge University.
2017 – 2019 (ongoing) Legal Strategy Consultant and Mediator; Legal Director at Edwards Lifesciences, Switzerland
As an independent “virtual in-house lawyer”, activities include
- Management of an international arbitration for a multinational.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts from general terms of sale to shareholders’ agreements.
- Advising clients on changing data protection requirements across Europe — in particular, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and its implementation.
- Delivering training sessions for startups on employment law, corporate governance, data protection and intellectual property.
- Legal and relationship management for Majamba GmbH, owners of GoodFestival™.
- Development of VIHL®, a software solution to enable clients to automate their contracting process.
- Accredited special coach for Innosuisse for legal affairs.
2012 – 2016 Danaher (Beckman Coulter), Nyon, Switzerland
Fortune 150 company with divisions that operate in the in vitro diagnostics, life sciences and dental tools sectors
Regional Counsel/Assistant General Counsel
As Regional Counsel, Hazel was accountable for working closely with senior managers to provide pragmatic legal strategy and compliance support for 4 Danaher divisions across the Middle East, Turkey, Africa and India.
- Led the negotiation and conclusion of a tripartite settlement agreement with a value of US$ 20 million, avoiding litigation and enabling a productive distribution relationship.
- Oversaw implementation of project to enhance data protection compliance in the light of rulings on cross border transfers and invalidity of EU/US “safe harbour”.
- Working with external counsel and local management, advised on the legal strategy for participation in a PPP project in Turkey that was the first of its kind for the company.
- Developed and delivered in-person and remote training for employees and distributors to educate and ensure compliance with laws, policies, regulations and contracts affecting their business areas.
- Led 8 compliance investigations in several countries, including interviewing witnesses, analysing documents, drafting investigation reports and supporting remediation efforts.
- Reviewed marketing materials for compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Regular advice to HR team on matters ranging from immigration to termination agreements.
As Assistant General Counsel, Hazel provided legal and compliance support to Beckman Coulter in Europe, Turkey, India, the Middle East, Africa.
- Built and led a team of regional in-house lawyers and compliance specialists.
- Drafted and negotiated the shareholders’ agreement for a strategic joint venture in Saudi Arabia.
- Managed litigation against a competitor regarding cancellation of a tender award worth €50 million.
- Advised on data protection and advertising rules in connection with marketing campaigns.
- Working in French, undertook due diligence on a French acquisition target and worked on legal and compliance integration post acquisition.
- Participated in and led multiple compliance investigations in several countries, including management of external counsel, conducting witness interviews, and providing remediation support where required.
- Co-led project to revise company’s global product labelling policy.
- Led project to implement a regional risk management policy.
2007 – 2012 SPD Swiss Precision Diagnostics GmbH (“SPD”), Geneva, Switzerland
Joint venture between Procter & Gamble and Alere (formerly Inverness Medical Innovations) — leader in the women's health diagnostics sector and owner of the Clearblue brand
As SPD’s first General Counsel, a member of its executive team, and company secretary, held global accountability for developing and implementing the company’s legal and intellectual property strategy.
- Built and led a team of 3 commercial lawyers and one patent attorney.
- Worked closely with CEO and CFO on corporate governance matters including the maintenance of SPD’s independence from control by either of its parent companies in the light of their 50/50 ownership.
- Managed complex false advertising and patent litigation against a competitor.
- Close strategic collaboration with other members of executive team to develop an ethics policy and a programme of brand values underpinning the Clearblue brand.
- Advised on interactions with healthcare regulators in several countries.
- Provided regular, in depth EU competition law advice and training to employees at all levels.
2002 – 2007 Inverness Medical Innovations, Bedford, United Kingdom
Multinational company active in the diagnostics and life sciences sectors (since 2007, known as Alere)
Joined Inverness as a junior lawyer and progressively took on additional responsibilities. Promoted to General Counsel, Consumer Diagnostics Division after 3 years, with global responsibility for the legal affairs of that division.
- Negotiated a long term supply agreement to settle patent litigation.
- Managed the Inverness trade mark portfolio.
- Managed £1 million product liability litigation, culminating in mediation.
- Established a contract management system.
2001 – 2002 Iliffes Booth Bennett, Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Commercial law practice
Advised on a range of non-contentious company/commercial matters.
1999 – 2001 Allen & Overy, London, United Kingdom
International law practice
Experience included seats in the litigation, mergers and acquisitions, communication, media and technology and tax departments.
Education and qualifications
Core Solutions Group, Edinburgh (2014) — Core Certificate of Competence in Mediation Skills
The College of Law, Chester (1997–1998) — Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice
Trinity College, Cambridge (1993–1997) — M.A. (honours) French, Russian and Law
English — native
French — near-native
German — fluent
Polish — moderately fluent
Download this CV
Click here to download Hazel's CV in English (28 February 2019).